College graduates are faced with so many emotions and choices – it’s quite overwhelming. I can make that statement with complete confidence because it wasn’t too long ago that I crossed the stage and entered into full blown career driven adulthood.
Making it through all of the course requirements, internships, tests and finally receiving your diploma is incredibly rewarding but it also comes with a whole new level of responsibility, to decide what exactly you’re going to do with that degree. For me, the choice was an easy one – I would work in tech PR and stay with the very same company that I had interned with my graduating semester. Why? Because it was the perfect fit, both in terms of career path and company culture.
Source: pexels.com used under CC license.
As college grads look forward to starting their next chapter and deciding where to do so, here are 5 hidden gem cities that boast some great tech jobs:
- Tysons Corner, Virginia: Silicon Hill – Just a short 25 miles west of Washington D.C., this area in Virginia has been growing in the tech scene, earning the name “Silicon Hill”. About 79 of every 1,000 jobs are in tech, averaging a salary of over $104,000 a year. IT jobs are in high demand and I think you’ll be surprised just how many tech networking events and happy hours are finding their ways onto calendars.
- Raleigh, North Carolina: Research Triangle – Did you know that Raleigh is one of the fastest growing cities in the country? This hidden gem within Research Triangle is home to a number of high-tech research and development and 56 of every 1,000 jobs are in tech. Raleigh also recently made the list of best places for STEM graduates to live.
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida: Come for the Beach and Stay for the Tech – This sunny area in southern Florida is leading the way as a place for hot-tech startups that are helping the environment. With three major research universities throughout the peninsula state and a surge in the creation of tech jobs, this is one location you might want to spend a little more time in (don’t forget the sunscreen!)
- Huntsville, Alabama: Tornado Tech – Huntsville, Alabama is great for a few reasons – rent is relatively low around $725 month and the average salary is $92,296. It is home to a number of awesome tech companies, including one major one you may have heard of before, NASA. 68 of every 1,000 jobs are in technology-related fields, so if you’re considering making a move, might be worth it to add this one to the list to check out!
- Nashville, Tennessee: Hey Ya’ll it’s Tech Time – You may think of music and cowboy boots when you think “Nashville” but it’s time to add tech into that thought! Business is up in the city and tech companies are looking to fill these positions, about 1,500 of which are in the tech sector. According to CBRE, Nashville is the fifth fastest-growing market for tech jobs in the U.S.
So for those on their job hunt – don’t be afraid to think outside of the box, pack up the box and move somewhere brand new. You could be a part of some pretty incredible growth in one of these growing cities. And companies: be aware during recruiting efforts and pay attention to what this job seeking group is looking for beyond job description alone. Creating a desirable environment that motivates and encourages success is of the utmost importance, to not only attract but also to retain valued and loyal employees.