A Senior Account Executive is the bridge between an account executive and account manager. They should be a capable and confident operator who has learnt most of the required basic media and communication skills and who has a good understanding of the media tools available to create the required media coverage in all PR areas.
The role should be to implement the strategies and activities as detailed by their account managers/directors, as well as proactively looking for opportunities or devising ideas to contribute to the team effort. However, they should also be fairly self-sufficient, capable of running smaller accounts virtually on their own, with minimal guidance from their seniors.
- Possess a full understanding of how the media works in the particular areas in which you operate - the opportunities available, building relationships with journalists, etc.
- Proactively develop relationships with a cross-section of journalists and bloggers.
- Constantly improve media knowledge to benefit clients, updating media lists as appropriate.
- Confidently approach journalists - consumer, B2B and trade - to sell in ideas and discuss opportunities.
- Drive the media relations programme for all clients. Control this area of all accounts, reacting to media enquiries and proactively looking for opportunities, working alongside managers/junior executives.
- Take ownership of meeting preparation, ensuring all agendas, meeting notes, monthly reports, etc. are produced or liaising with manager/director on requirements for meeting.
- Actively participate in meetings. Drive meeting and all preparation for clients you mainly control. For larger accounts, play an active role in preparing for the meeting and presenting elements.
- Participate in presentations to existing clients and at new business pitches.
- Ability to write a range of material (press releases, comment pieces, feature articles, briefing documents) that adopt the right tone for the right audience. Materials should be client ready with minimal changes from AM/AD
- Take a brief from client and write coherent and factually accurate press releases that require minimal amends from seniors and clients.
- Ability to proofread all written material to a high standard.
- Driven to exceed campaign goals (KPIs) set for each client.
- Produce quality, client-ready reports as required with minimal changes from AM/AD, e.g. contact reports, monthly reports, weekly reports, coverage reports, etc.
- Understand financial controls on all accounts, mark-up rules and budgeting procedures and manage job bags to ensure that all rechargeable items are included.
- Spot new media opportunities for clients (on a daily basis) and discuss with the team as to how to present and position the opportunity to the client
- Develop a thorough understanding of clients’ market, including its communication challenges and competitor activities. Demonstrate knowledge and insight to client.
- Build relationships with clients by demonstrating you are a trusted member of the team by meeting deadlines, being responsive to client needs and understanding clients’ market.
Attention to detail
- Excellent attention to detail in every single activity undertaken during your working day
- Negotiate with suppliers effectively and brief designers, photographers, printers in a knowledgeable and precise manner.
- Assist in the research & devolvement of new business pitches and attend pitch presentations as needed.
- Develop a level of creativity to contribute to new business brainstorms and respond to briefs.